Cloud technology has benefitted various industries and businesses in the past decades. In the education sector, too, several higher education institutions have leveraged cloud technology to create state-of-the-art education ERPs. It has helped enhance operational efficiency and administration in such colleges. However, many other institutions still insist on legacy ERPs and in-house data storage with data security and migration concerns.
Experts say that moving to the cloud is smart for all educational institutions. It can help colleges improve their operational efficiency and achieve their academic goals. However, moving to the cloud is not a small decision for any institution. Therefore, we have listed six benefits that colleges stand to get when they move their operations to the cloud –
- Reaching a Wide Range of Students – Switching to cloud-based applications empowers the college to reach out to a diverse group of students. Cloud technology enables colleges to aid students who cannot take up the traditional form of education. This group of students includes those who live in remote areas, working professionals who wish to go back to school, and stay-at-home parents with young children. Higher education institutions that create alternative forms of education to improve inclusivity can take a more significant number of learners under their wing.
- Student Data Security – Cloud-based ERPs feature role-based access to teachers, members of administration staff, and students. Personalized IDs with passwords allow everyone to log in from wherever they need and access the data assigned to them. Educators or heads of the departments can track the data anytime from anywhere without worrying about data security. Cloud technology offers the best-in-class data security and eradicates the possibility of mishandling or unauthorized access to student data.
- Scalability & Flexibility – One of the most significant benefits is the endless scalability and flexibility offered by the cloud. On-premise ERP systems have capacity limitations and high costs of scalability. In a cloud-based ERP, the educational institution may add or remove as many users as required. Cloud technology also significantly reduces the cost of scaling up compared to on-premise systems.
- Cost-Effective Education ERP – Migrating to the cloud is indeed a massive investment initially, and most education institutions shy away from it because establishing an in-house ERP is cheaper in comparison. However, as your institution grows, you will need to scale your system up – and that will cost much more in an on-premise ERP rather than cloud-based. Implementing a cloud-based ERP may require a significant investment, but it does not need further investment to scale up.
- Better Decision-Making – Cloud-enabled ERP solutions have better data storage and analysis capabilities. Such ERP software usually comes equipped with an analytics dashboard that generates various reports from the data garnered. You can automate the reporting for library accounts, fees, financial data, admissions, and other departments in your institution. Educators can also track their students’ performances and get a detailed report for test scores and attendance.
- Data Disaster Management & Recovery – Educators often have confidential and sensitive data that they need to safeguard. Test papers for upcoming examinations, attendance data, research statistics, or other data that is detrimental to the productivity and reputation of the institution. Any mishap related to student data can adversely affect the functioning of your college. Cloud-based ERP systems come embedded with a data disaster management and recovery system that ensures auto-backup of data and protects your institution from a data-related disaster.
Cloud-based software is benefitting various educational institutions around the globe. For institutions increasing, it is advisable to choose cloud technology over on-premise data solutions. Even though the initial investment required is significant, cloud technology saves time, effort, and money in the long run.
If you need help deciding which ERP solution is best for your institution, talk to us! The CollPoll team can advise you about the functionality and features of a cloud-based ERP that can work best for you. We work with higher education institutions across the globe to assist with the choice and implementation of the latest technology that can drive institutional growth.